Sunday, April 15, 2007

Modus Operandi

Work has been busy lately, so the last thing I've wanted to do when I get home is even look at a computer screen, hence the long dark silence for the past couple of weeks. However, after threats of violence from some readers, I've decided to end the apostasy with some fab updates. This restoration comes not a moment too soon either as the amount of posts I've been meaning to make was reaching critical mass, and I found myself on the brinks of never having enough time to ever catch up to current events again.

As far as work updates are concerned, the big news is that my friend/chauffeur Paul has decided to leave Modus and pursue other career options. I've ridden shotgun with him for the past 3 years in our relatively one-sided carpool arrangement, so climbing back into the drivers seat again, might take some adjustment for me. He lives just around the corner from us, so I'm sure we'll still see each other often, mostly due to our relatively one-sided lawnmower borrowing arrangement.

In other work news, we moved into a new office a couple weeks ago. There are no sign of bee infestations, exotic spiders, dead mice, and no trace of paint fumes, so on those points it's got our last office thoroughly beat. The biggest selling point however, is the indoor plumbing. No more outhouse! The new office isn't a perfect setup by any stretch though, I'm pretty sure it doesn't even meet the building code, but it's better than the last one. The biggest issue is they didn't put an HVAC system in yet, so its dang cold some days and oven-hot on others. There's no exhaust fans in the bathrooms either, so what goes on in the bathroom, stays in the bathroom - for a long while. Thank goodness for Febreeze.

A large oilfield project we were going to bid on fell through last week, so a lot of the work I've done lately has been for naught. It's nice to see some of your efforts come to fruition every so often, so I give you the Airdrie Francophone school. It's one of the first schools I worked on designing here, and it's now occupied by students and teachers alike. There is another one just like it down in Okotoks and there are plans for many more of them around Alberta. They're not much to look at on the outside, but they are faster to build, far more economical and energy efficient than a permanent school structure, and they're guaranteed to remain mould-free. I just wish sometimes that the powers that be at Modus would put as much thought into their own facilities as they do their product.

1 comment:

D said...

It's about time you got around to making a posting. I'll put off burning you in effigy until another day.