Thursday, January 06, 2005

Christmas 2004


This year we spent most of our Christmas with the Bourne side of the family. We usually alternate families every year and it worked out well since Trevor came home on the 23rd. We spent the entire long weekend at my parents house along with Alison and her family and Heather and Tyler who currently live in my parents basement. I think that makes 12 people all together, not including the 2 zygotes.

We had to start Christmas day early because Trevor Ganchar (who works for the Calgary Fire Department) had to leave for work by 7:30am and we didn't want him to miss out. We got up at 5:30am to open presents, were done by 7:30am, and most people were asleep again by 8:00am. I think everyone was pretty happy with what Santa brought this year. Tammy and I decided to get ourselves a digital camera instead of buying gifts for each other. It was expensive but we wanted to treat ourselves for once and we're happy with the purchase. We also wanted to have one for when the baby arrives in June.

Boxing day was Trevor's "homecoming" at church and he gave a really great talk. He's done a lot of growing over the past two years and I think his mission experience has helped set him up to have a happy and productive life. After church we had a big dinner over at my parents house with all the extended family and some close friends. It's amazing to me how big our family circle has grown over the past few years with all the marriages and all the children being born.


We did get to spend some time with the Olsen side of the family as well. Jodie and Aaron were in Vancouver visiting with Aaron's family but everyone else was around at one time or another. We went out to Carstairs for a bit and we spent quite a few evenings in a row over at the Masons playing Mario tennis and a bevy of other games on their new game cube. Through and through I'd say its been a really great holiday.


Tammy made this Christmas tree ornament when she was in kindergarten and her family has hung it on the tree every year since. I think at one time it was supposed to be Big Bird but the years haven't been kind. It's probably one of the most disturbing looking decorations my eyes have ever seen. Long may it hang.


Over the holidays a bunch of the family went skating and played a little hockey over on some frozen pond in Rocky Ridge. I do alright with the game but I couldn't skate my way out of a wet paper bag. It was a lot of fun and I've made myself a goal to learn the art of the ice dance. But until then, I'll play net. The picture is the most dynamic snapshot Tammy managed to get of me. I've never felt so Brittish.

No comments: