Wednesday, January 05, 2005

RM

My younger brother Trevor returned from serving a two year mission in Utah and Wyoming on December 23rd. We had quite a large group there at the airport waiting for him, including 20 or so members of the family, a friend of his (the rest are still serving missions), and a couple of guys from the Calgary Herald. I guess they were on the hunt for a Christmas scoop, so they did a story on the situation, took our picture, and put it in the paper the next day. It was a good article, I posted it below. It sure is good to have Trevor back, I missed him a lot and I'm looking forward to spending more time with him and re-establishing my dominance as his older brother.

Article:

The day before Christmas Eve is the day the Bourne family has been waiting for with bated breath.
They arrived at the Calgary International Airport half an hour early, just in case.More than 20 of them - aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, brothers, sisters, mom and dad, best friend - line up outside the arrivals gate.
The flight is already late. But any minute now, 21-year-old Trevor Bourne will walk through the gate, and see his family for the first time in two years, their first family Christmas in 24 months.
"Our focus has been today, not Christmas," says mother Rosemary. "I've been counting, just counting the days. Two years felt like four for me."
For the Bournes, today is better than Christmas, the day 21-year-old Trevor comes home from a two-year mission in Salt Lake City for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...
...Downstairs, the Bournes are getting more and more excited. They greet the flight crew with a loud "Merry Christmas," then greet every traveler who walks through the doors, each time glancing for a glimpse of Trevor...
...when Trevor Bourne finally walks through the sliding doors, the family explodes. Rosemary begins crying, dad Ken can't talk.
"I can't believe there are so many people here," says the bemused and slightly overwhelmed 21-year-old missionary.
"Everyone get over here."
Rosemary hugs her son, lets him hug everyone else, then hugs him again. Her Christmas is now complete.
"I'm shaking. He's just grown, his voice is different, he's so confident. You send him away as a boy...
"This is my Christmas gift, definitely."

No comments: