Sunday, March 04, 2007

Kids is Kids

Emma found my Aaronic Priesthood manual today, and wanted to read it with Dad, so I sat down with her and we flipped through it a while. There's not much in there for the toddler mind besides big numbers in the corners, but there's a bunch of pictures in the back that relate to the lessons, so we turned to those. We were looking through them and discussing what we saw when we came to a picture of the disciples wrapping the dead body of Jesus in some white sheets after he had been crucified. I didn't know how to explain the image to her. She's familiar with who Jesus is and I could see a little concern in her eyes, especially since the painting depicts a gaping wound in his side. I paused and then whispered to her that this is when Jesus died, but she turned to me and said "Jesus is sleeping". I thought that statement was as accurate as any, so I agreed and we flipped to the next page which shows a resurrected Jesus talking with Mary Magdalene outside of the tomb. I said to her this time "Now Jesus is awake" to which she gave a cheerful "Good morning Jesus" and gave him a little wave. You probably had to be there to fully appreciate it, but we thought it was very sweet of her to say and she seemed so very pleased that he was awake again, that I wanted to jot it down for posterity's sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen's father Elmer died a few weeks ago and we were trying to let aden know that his cousin Makalya'a Grandpa has died. I showed him a picture and talked about how he went to see Jesus. Aden simply said "He's not dead!" I thought it was a simple and sublime message. Out of the mouth of babes!