Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grampas

My Aunt Leah's Father, Nephi Quist, passed away last month at the age of 85. I attended the funeral along with my Mom, my sister Alison, and her kids over at the East Stake Center. In addition to being a bomber pilot in WW2, Nephi was a sergeant and a detective with the Calgary police force for 26 years. A few officers were in attendance, and they made a special presentation to his wife Ruth during the service. He was buried in the Mountain View Cemetery, in a plot right beside my Grampa Bourne. Grampa Bourne died some 17 years ago, and this was the first time I had been back to his grave sight since he was buried there. I don't know why I never made it back in all those years, but it was sure nice to stand there again with my Gramma, and say hello. Both of my Grandfathers died when I was a young teenager, and I've always been a bit sad about that. I really think I could have used, and could still use, some Grandfatherly influence in my life, although I'm sure they've been around in one way or another all along.

No comments: