Emma and I spent Friday scouting out the Telus World of Science as a potential location for her 3rd birthday party. We drove to Dalhousie station and took the C-Train the rest of the way, just because trains are more fun.
Emma had a good time in the Creative Kids Museum, but I wouldn't say anything in there is really all that sciency. The parts that were sciency didn't seem to interest her all that much, but that's probably normal for 2 year olds. After touring the place, we went to a dome show called The Living Sea and ate lunch while we watched the film.
We were both pretty burnt out after the show, so we headed back to the now crowded C-train platform where we watched 5 full trains go by with no hope of boarding any of them. It was raining, and we didn't have an umbrella, and Emma made sure everyone who did have one within earshot was aware of it. At least she was polite about it though, yelling "Excuse me!" to each person she told about our plight.
On top of it being rush hour, they announced that mechanical difficulties were causing 20 minute delays from City Center to Dalhousie Station. Emma eventually fell asleep in my arms, and after about an hour of holding her, our little flour (as in "sack of") was starting to get pretty heavy. I decided to take matters into my own hands, so I lifted Emma across my shoulders like a wounded soldier, and carried her that way from the 7th St. SW station, to 3rd St. SE station, where we could get on before the train filled up with commuters. I got some funny looks from some downtown folk, but she was comfortable enough to sleep the whole walk, and stayed asleep the whole train ride home.
We probably won't have her party at the Science Center, but we had fun checking it out. We bought the tickets through Airmiles too, so the only pocket money we spent that day was on train tickets. I'm sure we'll get back to the World 'o' Science someday when the kids are older, but as for Emma's birthday party, I think we'll hit a local park again, and hope for clear skies, as we don't have an umbrella.
1 comment:
We're big science center fans in our house - but we had the same experience as you...for younger kids while there are things to enjoy (did you check out Toon Town?), you really have to be a little older to enjoy all of it. Our kids are 6 and 9 right now and that seems to be a GREAT age (even moreso for 9 year olds than 6 year olds)...but I'm thinking once Peirce can read it'll be even more enjoyable to for him.
We've written aboun the Science Center a few times on our blog here (http://ackroydhouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/another-day-at-science-center.html) and here http://ackroydhouse.blogspot.com/2008/01/science-sure-can-be-fun.html (for starts)
Post a Comment