I need to get this blog back up to speed, so I'm going to recap some main events in July in one post here, and then we should be back with live, up to the minute coverage, for the remainder of August.
We sure didn't do much stampeding this year, but we did manage to eat a fair share of pancakes. I think it was 8th ward that put together the pancake breakfast that 3rd ward was invited to, and though I believe it was a tri-ward function, we only saw about 30 people there at any given time. Quite the contrast when compared to the Panorama/Coventry ward breakfast which we attended that saw about 700+ people come through the line, most of them being people from the community. I guess Coventry ward did quite a bit of advertising for it, and they brought in a fancy fire truck, but it's still impressive considering that there were 3 other pancake breakfasts going on in that area that morning. I especially liked how they put up a sign that said "FREE CHURCH TOUR" as opposed to the regular church tours that cost $12 dollars a person or $45 dollars per family. I also liked how a group of young people came through the line, quietly ate there pancakes and sausages, and then started Bible bashing with anyone they could find who wasn't preoccupied with juggling children. I guess I just thought it was peculiar, because I like to do my Bible bashing before breakfast.
We sadly missed out on our tradition of attending the town of Carstairs Beef and Barley Days this year, due to a case of the lurgy that was plaguing most of our family at the time. It's really too bad because they've started doing the kids races again (I don't know why they ever stopped), and I think Emma would have really enjoyed that.
The town of Raymond played host to the Navratil family reunion this year (Tammy's Mom's side of the family), and it was well attended and celebrated with games, trampolining, a BBQ lunch, and a slide show of Tammy's Aunt Rita and her trip to the Czech Republic, where the Navratils originally hail from. We traveled down the night before and stayed at Tammy's Aunt Kerry's house along with the 7 Mason's, Kimberly, and Gramma and Grampa Olsen. It was a full house considering Aunt Kerry has 5 of her own kids still living at home, but most of the kids slept in a big tent out in the back yard, so it wasn't all that crowded. First thing in the morning, Emma carved her foot up, scratched up her leg, and bruised her bum pretty good when she took a misstep through a hole on the side of the ground level trampoline they have in their back yard. She was very brave as I cleaned the gunk out of the groove in her foot with a Q-tip and applied the anti-septic, and though she limped around for a while after, the wound really didn't slow her down much at all. I took the picture today, so it's healing up well, and it's all but a scar and a distant memory for her now.
We made a trip to Calaway Park on a Wednesday in July, even though the dark clouds on the horizon should have kept us away. We managed to get there and get in 4 or 5 rides before the downpour hit us. Tammy had already taken Ashley indoors to feed her, and Emma and I took refuge on the carousel, so we all managed to stay pretty dry. It rained hard for about 20 minutes or so, which was no big deal, but the thunderstorm that accompanied it, along with hordes of people running around screaming, made Emma a little bit nervous. After the rain stopped, there was nothing but blue skies, so the rest of the day turned out pretty decently.
Tammy arranged a play date for Emma with our next door neighbours daughter from our old house in Coventry Hills back at the end of the month. Her name is Katelyn, and she was one of Emma's best friends when we lived over there. They went to what Emma calls "Our Park" (she has a different name for every park we've ever gone to) and then they went back to Katelyn's house for some snacks. Emma's attended a play group here in Citadel a couple of times now, but she's just seen so much change in her life since Ashley was born, that I think it was really good for her to get back to her old stomping grounds and reconnect with her old friend. I think it was good for Tammy as well.
Speaking of kids named Katelyn, Joe and Erica had their second child and first daughter back on the 14th of July and they've named her Caitlyn Evangeline Bourne. Since we were all under the weather when she was first born, we still haven't been over to see her yet, but we're very excited to go pinch them cheeks just as soon as we can.
Well, me thinks that covers July. I'm sure there was more to it, but I've already worn out 2 keyboards on this post, so I'm going to go lie down. Wait, I should also mention that today is 08/08/08.
Well, me thinks that covers July. I'm sure there was more to it, but I've already worn out 2 keyboards on this post, so I'm going to go lie down. Wait, I should also mention that today is 08/08/08.
No comments:
Post a Comment