We decided on the e-mail version as neither of us really had time to sit and play out an entire game, especially with the 2 hour time zone difference. The e-mail version presented it's own series of challenges though, as game play was drastically altered by the fact that the attacker now got to choose which of the defenders units would become casualties. After some debating back and forth about how we should handle this loophole, it was decided that it actually made the battle scenarios more realistic and added an interesting dynamic to the strategic element of the game.
I played the Axis and D played the Allies, and as history has a habit of repeating itself, the Axis was defeated. I tip my hat to my conqueror and his endless barrage of deadly salvos, but I think the game is a bit slanted towards the Allies anyways. The whole thing lasted about a week of emailing back and forth, which seems to be just long enough to become addicted, so I'm sure we'll be scheduling a rematch soon, hopefully adding more players to the mix as we do. If anyone out there in cyberspace is interested in signing up for a game, let us know, no blood feud experience is required.
4 comments:
I'm totally in.
This goes without saying, but I'm in too.
Here's a quote from one of our exchanges this week:
D: "You know, I don't know if I entirely agree with the idea that the attacker gets to pick whatever he wants to take down as a casualty. Maybe I'm just being a baby, because I lost a fighter. I suggest that we institute a rule where the defender loses pieces in order of value, cheapest stuff first. This makes good sense in most cases.
You could hardly make a real-world argument that an invading force of infantry and a tank could specifically target my fighters. I would have infantry and tanks on the front line. Call me a baby if you want."
M: "It sounds like you're trying to make this civilized. I think that in war it's acceptable to attack someone where it will hurt the most, I think that's the point. Maybe my marines were on a special mission to sabotage or take out a fighter squadron while it was still on the ground, that's possible. I do think however, that when your defender is given the chance to retreat, you should allow that. I did lose 3 infantry, a tank, a country, and 2 IP's for that one fighter, so I think it's an even trade.
Mercy does not exist in this dojo."
Wow... Man i miss the old scout camp days, especially the one time we built that big wodden fort and the huge bon fire next to it. With IKE on his quad. Camp Impezza or something, those were the good old days. Well D if your ever in Calgary you can count me in on a game or 2 or 12. And mike, perhaps a soon appt to play and get the rust out of our game might be in order. We may end up attending the Country Hills ward in March or so after we get released from our Nursey Leader Calling. p.s. What time does your ward start...?
Jon
Our ward starts at 9am, but when you replace me as Young Men's president, your meetings will start at 7am.
Post a Comment