New Years Eve we headed on back to my parents place for the family countdown to 2007. After dinner, my brother an I started a game of Axis and Allies that took us well into the night to finish. I must say, I've never seen a guy so impressed with how well he lost before. The rest of the family played Cranium and other lesser games, and to their credit, seemed to have a lot more fun then we did. It's a long game, especially with two players who don't fully recall the rules. We all took a break to countdown the New year, raise our glasses, and kiss our spouses. Tammy looks forward to that as it's one of her guaranteed smooches of the year.
We stayed the night there and the next day headed to the local hockey rink for a bit of shinny. I'm not much of a skater, so I didn't last long. My brother was decked out in his goalie equipment, so everyone who showed up that day used him for target practice. When a second goalie showed up, sticks were divided up and a game was started. There must have been 30 to 40 people on the ice, ranging from 5 to 65 years old, but it still managed to be a pretty fun game to watch. It lasted about an hour or so, and then we spent a little more time at my parents house before heading home to get ready to face the week of work ahead. No one loves the feeling of a holiday ending, but I'm glad I had one, and I'm glad I got to spend it with my family, winning games.
10 comments:
If you showed up to play Axis & Allies with me, you'd need to borrow your brother's goalie equipment. I'd use YOU for target practice until you capitulated.
Why don't you find an online version and we'll test that theory.
I think I have a version around here somewhere that Nathan gave me. He also gave me the patch that prevents the Japanese from buying all subs, which they then forget to put on the board. Do you have it too?
If so, game on.
I think my brother has a version, I'll check into it and get back to you.
I'm waiting...
I couldn't find the copy my bro had, I might have to go purchase one.
Check this one out:
link
It's a freeware, downloadable version. I've never tried it, but it might be good.
You can download the freeware game here
Did you download it? Is it any good?
I downloaded it.
I tried it.
It was good.
It's as good or better than the official version. I whupped the Allies fairly handily, but they say the AI isn't great.
We should try on online game. If you use skype, it might make it easier to work ourselves through the steps of online setup. It would also help for trash talk.
I noticed there's a play-by-email version that might be good, since it would require less coordination than a real-time game.
Post a Comment